Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
A vast number of visits to the GP’s surgery involve a digestive complaint; the most common include pain, bloating diarrhoea or constipation. Many people receive a diagnosis of IBS and are none the wiser as to why they continue to experience symptoms.
IBS is a common disorder suffered by 1 in 5 people in the UK and affects more women than men. Symptoms are vast and vary from person to person they can include:
- Abdominal pain – Nausea – Bloating – Headache
- Diarrhoea – Burping – Constipation – Low appetite
- Spasms – Tiredness – Wind – Back pain
If some of these symptoms sound familiar then it could be likely that you are suffering from IBS. There are a number of possible causes, which will be investigated during your consultation.
- Food intolerances
- Inability to digest certain foods
- Dysbiosis – low levels of good bacteria and/or an overgrowth of bad bacteria
- Candida – overgrowth of yeast
The key to treating IBS with nutrition is to identify and then treat the underlying cause, rather than just treating the symptoms. So as well as taking a thorough history of your health, diet and lifestyle, we can also offer tests. This helps to pinpoint the route cause and therefore, determines our plan of action. You will be amazed at how a small change to your diet can have a major impact on your health and substantially reduce your symptoms.